Saturday, November 14, 2015

Handmade for the Holidays: Ditty Bags

Handmade for the Holidays

Time for a history lesson. Back in the days when America was a seafaring nation, apprentice sailors made their own ditty bags as part of their apprenticeship.

In the course of making the bag these apprentices learned all the sewing skills they would need as a sailor: Flat-felled seams, installing grommets, etc. And, they had a useful bag to carry all their tools and personal supplies when they went to sea.

Apprentice purse-makers will learn all the skills they need to make bags and purses as they make their own Ditty Bag.

Continue to practice quilting with fabric and Soft and Stable.

Learn to make and attach borders and handles, to attach a single-slide zipper, to sew along curved edges, and make and attach bias binding.

Ditty Bags are perfect for any gender and any age. The three graduated sizes ensure that you'll be able to use them for anything and everything. 






4 comments:

  1. I've been making these ditty bags this year for my granddaughter's' birthdays. I'm about to start on my twelvth one. They have been a big hit from ages seven to twenty-four. It's been fun picking the material and filling them with a few of their "favorite things" ... and receiving the ensuing compliments on my sewing. Annie's patterns and training clips make it possible to feel pretty accomplished even though I still consider myself a novice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How fun! I bet they are loving those! 12?! I bet you can make those with your eyes closed now. What a great accomplishment.

      Delete
  2. These look delightful and would be fun to make!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are such a fun project, sew quickly, and can be used for so many different things! Thanks for joining us and for your comment.

      Delete

Thank you for submitting a comment on my blog!

Annie
http://www.byannie.com