Monday, November 9, 2015

Handmade for the Holidays: A Bit of Stitch

Handmade for the Holidays: A Bit of Stitch

With a new grandbaby for Annie, imagine our squeals of delight when we saw these too cute robots made with ByAnnie's Soft and Stable. They would make the perfect gift for any little one, and many of our staff are imagining recipients of these adorable toys. 



Here is Evy from A Bit of Stitch to tell you about these little cuties!

Meet Bo & Bea Bop - robot softies made possible with Soft and Stable, my favorite stabilizer for projects that require body without stiffness!



The faces and tummy dials are machine embroidery designs, completed before the bots are constructed.


ByAnnie's Soft and Stable is so very easy to sew with. Because it is so soft, it is easily manipulated beneath the foot and yet stable enough to provide a sturdy shape for projects like these bots. This product absolutely lives up to its name!
I found that marking the seam allowance on my blocks of foam made the construction so much faster. I made a small dot with a water soluble marker exactly ½” away from each corner of every block. It can be a challenge to keep a straight line when sewing on cushy materials, so the marks gave me a nice visual that allowed me to keep the seams straight and even.


Bea needed a girly hair style to go with her unmistakably robot-shaped noggin, and braided yarn did the trick!


Making her shoes into Mary Janes was just a matter of adding a matching fabric strap over the top part of the foot. A little buckle or maybe buttons would be cute too! I slipped washable toy rattle inserts into the feet and crinkle material into the hands for extra fun.


One of the nicest things about working with ByAnnie's Soft and Stable is how cleanly it trims. I tried this project with un-trimmed seam allowances the first time, and while it worked just fine, the boxes seemed a little too round. That’s when I discovered that I could use my trimming snips to cut away the Soft and Stable in the seam allowances before I turned the boxes right side out. Worked like a charm - perfect boxes for my bots!




I’m hooked now and can’t wait to try more softie projects with Soft and Stable! Who knows what may be next…maybe houses and gnomes, or little cars and trucks! What are you going to make?

Happy Stitching!
Evy
www.abitofstitch.com

Evy has generously offered a pattern/embroidery designs CD for Bop Bots and a Riley Blake fat quarter fabric stack to make the robots. Can't wait? You can find the pattern here. 
a Rafflecopter giveaway





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for submitting a comment on my blog!

Annie
http://www.byannie.com