Make the Back Vinyl Pocket
We will need:For this step we will need the 7" x 5" vinyl pocket as well as the 2” x 5” vinyl pocket binding strip.
We will also use these tools:
- Sewing machine with zipper foot
- Pins, fine-point
- Stiletto/pressing tool
- Wonder Clips
- Thread snips/scissors
Objectives:Discover tips for sewing with clear, heavyweight vinyl as you make the see-through pocket for the back of the organizer. Attach a binding to the top of the pocket for a professional finish to the pocket.
Tips for working with vinyl:
- Do not iron vinyl. If your vinyl is folded, open it and lay it flat to “relax.” For stubborn folds, warm the vinyl using a clothes dryer (on low to medium heat setting), a blow dryer — even a hot sidewalk on a sunny day!
- Leave the tissue paper that comes with the vinyl “attached” as you cut. This makes the pieces easier to see as you work. It also makes sewing easier. Vinyl tends to stick to the bed of the machine; this helps reduce the static.
- Position the tissue under the vinyl as you sew. Move it to the left just beyond the needle so you won’t sew through it.
- If you happen to catch the tissue in a seam, you can easily tear it away after you’ve finished sewing. Just pull it away from the sewn edge at a 90-degree angle.
- Alternatively, you can put a few strips of painter’s masking tape on the bed of the machine.
- Sew with a metal foot if possible. If a plastic foot “catches” on the vinyl, put a piece of tape on the bottom of the foot.
- If you have a Teflon foot for your machine, this is the perfect opportunity to use it. I can tell you that Bernina’s #53 foot is worth every penny that I paid for it!
Let's get started:1.Using the piece of binding cut for the vinyl pocket, bind the top 5" edge of the back vinyl pocket.
a. With right sides out, fold the vinyl pocket binding strip in half lengthwise and pin.
TIP: Remember to keep the tissue between the vinyl and the bed of your machine as you sew to prevent static. Move the tissue to the left just beyond the needle so you won’t sew through it.
b. Align the binding strip along the 5" top edge of the vinyl pocket. Sew together with an accurate ¼" seam.
c. Fold binding over to front of pocket and stitch along folded edge to secure.