Bind the Top of Each Zipper
We will need:For this step we will need the three zippered mesh pockets made in Post #9 and the remaining three binding strips which we pinned together in Post #8.
We will also use these tools:
- Sewing machine with zipper foot
- Pins, fine-point
- Stiletto/pressing tool
- Wonder Clips
- Thread snips/scissors
Objectives:We could skip this step and just attach the zippered mesh pockets to the inside of the organizer at this stage. However, adding a binding to the top edge of each zipper finishes them off beautifully and gives a very professional finish with minimal work. We like that!
Let's get started:1. Pin/clip the prepared binding strips to the wrong side of the zipper aligning the long raw edges and being careful to align the ends of the binding with the ends of the mesh pocket (not with the ends of the zipper).
2. Using the zipper foot (and being careful to move the needle to the side if needed), sew the binding to the zipper with an accurate ¼" seam. A stiletto helps to hold the pieces in place. Move the zipper pull back or forth as needed to keep the pull out of the way, the zipper tape straight, and your stitches even.
Notice here the problem that resulted when the zipper pull caused the zipper tape to be crooked. Our stitching isn't straight which will result in an uneven binding when it is turned to the front. Fortunately this is easy to fix. . . and we don't even need a seam ripper.
Just make sure that the zipper pull is moved out of the way and then restitch along the line, straightening the stitching as you go.
Much better! I don't even have to pull out the previous line of stitching because it will be hidden in the binding seam.
3. Fold the binding over to the front and secure in place with Wonder Clips.
4. Stitch along the folded edge of the binding to finish the top edge of the zipper.
5. Repeat to bind the top edge of each of the zippered mesh pockets. Set pockets aside.
11. Make the Back Vinyl Pocket
Click here for the full schedule of postings for ByAnnie's Summer Sew Along - Stash and Dash.