Prepare the Zippers
We will need:For this step we will use one 30" double-slide handbag zipper and an extra zipper pull. If you are using three 10" (or longer zippers), you can skip this step.
We will also use these tools:
- Sewing machine with ¼" foot
- Marking pen or pencil
- Quilter's ruler - a 6" x 12" ruler is perfect for this step but a larger ruler will also work
- Rotary cutter or scissors
Objectives:There are three zippered mesh pockets on the inside of the Stash and Dash organizer. We prefer to install handbag zippers in these pockets because of their durability and ease of installation (not to mention their extra-long pulls!). The good news: We can make all three pockets using just ONE double-slide zipper and an extra zipper pull.
Let's get started:
1. Measuring from the OUTSIDE edge of the zipper stop on one end of the zipper, make a mark across the zipper tape 10" from the stop.
NOTE: The ruler in the picture could be moved down just a bit so that the 10" line is at the outside edge of the ruler. Cutting the zippers at 10" leaves plenty of extra, though, so if you put the 10" mark on the inside edge as shown, that is OK. Your last zipper might be a bit shorter than 10" but it will still be more than enough.
2. Make another mark 10" away from that mark. This will divide the 30" zipper into three 10" zippers.
3. Being careful to have only ONE zipper pull in each section, stitch across the zipper tape (through the teeth, too) about 1/8" away from each marked line.
Pivot and stitch again across the zipper tape about 1/8" to the other side of each line.
NOTE: There will be one 10" section of zipper tape without a zipper pull. We will add a pull to that section later.
5. You will now have three 10" zippers, two will pulls and one without. There will be a line of stitching at the cut end of each of the zippers to prevent the pulls from coming off.
Remove the stitching on the end of zipper without the pull so that you can attach a pull in the next step.
8. Bind the Inner Mesh Pockets
Click here for the full schedule of postings for ByAnnie's Summer Sew Along - Stash and Dash.