Monday, June 29, 2015

Road to California: Hunter's Design Studio

For week three we have Sam from Hunter's Design Studio. Isn't that bag fun?

We really like how the bold red makes the Road to California fabric a focal point.



Want to know a little more about this bag? Read on! 

Bag Introduction Questions

1. What is the name of your company and what is the name of the bag?


     Hunter’s Design Studio


     Chunky Wee Bag



2. What was your inspiration for this bag & for the way you used the Road
to California fabric?

     I originally made the bag to solve an issue – you can read about it here
The flap of the bag lends itself well to featuring a fabric motif, so I looked for one in the R2CA fabric that would fit.


3. For what do you recommend the bag be used & what are its features?


     Since I designed it, I’ve used it daily (one of several different versions that
rotate depending on my mood) I like that it wears well across the body, and inside is a ring of very useful pockets.


4. Is there anything special about the bag construction? If so, can you
provide a brief description of what is special and how it was done?

     Like many bags, it feels like you make parts and pieces forever, then
suddenly in one seam it comes together. Design-wise, I’m proudest of the connectors between the bag and strap – it took a while to figure out how to do that elegantly.


5. What components did you use and why did you choose them?


     I use fusible fleece in a lot of things – I like the body it gives, without being 
too stiff. I also use a small piece of foam core board in the base to help it keep its square feel


6. Is there a pattern? If so, what is the link? If not, do you have a website 
or other public space you would like us to share on the blog?

     Yes, the pattern is Chunky Wee Bag. I sell it on my site and on Craftsy, 
and it is also available through all major US distributors, so ask for it at your quilt shop.



Personal questions to add some flair



1.       What has been your biggest challenge in designing patterns?


     I like to add a lot of drawings to my patterns, and sometimes they get 
complicated to create (especially if zippers are involved!) Here’s my pattern designing mission statement:

http://huntersdesignstudio.com/about/mission/


2.   What advice would you share with aspiring bag makers?

     Bags are like recipes – they might be intimidating at first, but if you slow
down, and just follow the steps, they come together well. Also, bags tend to have lots of layers, so it’s important to slow down your sewing speed so as not to break a needle. I also assemble most of mine with the walking foot to help manage the layers.





Want to make your own? Be sure to check out Hunter's Designs' website as well as purchase the Road to California fabric to enter the challenge. 


Remember, if you want to make your own bag to enter in the 2016 Road to California Bag Challenge, you can read the rules and download the entry form here. Don't miss out on your opportunity to shine. Anyone is welcome to enter using any design. 

Miss a designer or can't wait to see who is next? Check out the schedule on the original post here.

1 comment:

  1. Bag looks roomy and cute! Can't wait to try it!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for submitting a comment on my blog!

Annie
http://www.byannie.com