Monday, January 28, 2008

2008 Block of the Month: free patterns!

One of the fun programs in my local quilt guid is the Block of the Month (BOM). Each month we publish a pattern and members are invited to make blocks. They bring their finished block to the next meeting and put their name in a drawing. (They get one chance for each block that they make.) A name is drawn and the lucky winner gets to take home all the blocks to make a quilt.

Members are also encouraged to make a block of their own to put together into a quilt. We'll have a quilt show of the finished quilts made using any of the BOM blocks at our first meeting of the next guild year. It should be fun to see what people have done.

A friend and I were asked to design the blocks for the 2007/2008 year. We decided on a seasonal theme, with blocks to represent each month of the year. We each made a quilt from the blocks and came up with entirely different colors and settings.

I used the blocks as a border around a central medallion in which I embroidered this quote by Laura Ingalls Wilder:

"It's the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all."

Simple Things version of block of the month quilt

I used country colors for my quilt, but also designed it using the Marthas Vineyard line of fabrics designed by Susan Branch for RJR. It gives it an entirely different look, don't you think?

Block of the month quilt designed using Marthas Vineyard fabrics

Karen added strips around each block and set them in four rows of three blocks each. I don't have a photo of her quilt, but it looks something like this:

Karen's version of block of the month quilt

I thought that visitors to my website might enjoy making these blocks, too, so will post a free pattern for a new block each month. You can find it at www.byannie.com/2008_block_of_month.html.

Please remember that the free patterns on my website are for personal use only and should not be copied. If you'd like to share the patterns with a friend, please forward a link to my site to them. I'd love for them to visit my site and perhaps do a little shopping while they are there!

Patterns will be posted at the beginning of each month, so be sure to check back monthly for the new pattern. If you sign up for my newsletter, I'll let you know when the new blocks are posted.

Happy stitching!

Annie

1 comment:

  1. Just found your blog! Love the BOM and how you are showing different versions. Nice!!

    Susan

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for submitting a comment on my blog!

Annie
http://www.byannie.com